LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 leaalexander
|
Hello,

I'm curious to get PowerScore and its users' take on reusing PTs that you've already used in the past. I'm taking the June LSAT. I previously took the LSAT two years ago but wanted to improve my score, and after studying again using some different methods (including PowerScore's marterials), I'm consistently getting significantly better scores now than I did two years ago when I take unused PTs.

However, based on the June Crystal Ball session, it's clear that many of the best PTs to use are ones that I used when I was studying two years ago.

So, I'm wondering whether it would be more effective to continue using "clean" PTs, even if they are less ideal for the kind of material we should expect on the June LSAT... or whether, after two years, it's reasonable to reuse old PTs.

I did a few little experiments where I took some standalone LR sections from PTs I'd previously done, and I found that I didn't know any of the answers by memory. I vaguely recalled about 10% of questions insofar as "oh yeah, I remember there was this nuclear power MSS question, and I remember it was tricky," but I didn't remember the answer, and had to reason through it as though it were all new to me. Meanwhile, for the other 90% of questions, I didn't seem to remember anything at all -- they looked like brand new questions to me.

Yet even though the questions FEEL new to me, I have to wonder if there's some subconscious recollection going on that I'm unaware of. So, PowerScore people, any advice? Do you think it would be better to reuse these PTs from two years ago in order to better reflect the kind of content we're expecting on the June LSAT? Or better to use older, "clean" PTs even if they're less ideally-suited for June? At the moment I've taken a blended approach -- some new, some reused -- in the lead-up to June. But I'd appreciate all input!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
leaalexander wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:38 am Hello,

I'm curious to get PowerScore and its users' take on reusing PTs that you've already used in the past. I'm taking the June LSAT. I previously took the LSAT two years ago but wanted to improve my score, and after studying again using some different methods (including PowerScore's marterials), I'm consistently getting significantly better scores now than I did two years ago when I take unused PTs.

However, based on the June Crystal Ball session, it's clear that many of the best PTs to use are ones that I used when I was studying two years ago.

So, I'm wondering whether it would be more effective to continue using "clean" PTs, even if they are less ideal for the kind of material we should expect on the June LSAT... or whether, after two years, it's reasonable to reuse old PTs.

I did a few little experiments where I took some standalone LR sections from PTs I'd previously done, and I found that I didn't know any of the answers by memory. I vaguely recalled about 10% of questions insofar as "oh yeah, I remember there was this nuclear power MSS question, and I remember it was tricky," but I didn't remember the answer, and had to reason through it as though it were all new to me. Meanwhile, for the other 90% of questions, I didn't seem to remember anything at all -- they looked like brand new questions to me.

Yet even though the questions FEEL new to me, I have to wonder if there's some subconscious recollection going on that I'm unaware of. So, PowerScore people, any advice? Do you think it would be better to reuse these PTs from two years ago in order to better reflect the kind of content we're expecting on the June LSAT? Or better to use older, "clean" PTs even if they're less ideally-suited for June? At the moment I've taken a blended approach -- some new, some reused -- in the lead-up to June. But I'd appreciate all input!
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the post, and great question! It sounds like you're on the right track here: "At the moment I've taken a blended approach -- some new, some reused -- in the lead-up to June."

This approach will allow you to practice with some fresh questions to simulate how it will feel on actual test day, but will also allow you to continue to hone your skills by mastering the questions you've already seen. Remember, the key is to make sure you're not only taking the tests, but thoroughly reviewing them and mastering the questions and underlying concepts. :-D

We actually have a blog post about retaking LSAT tests when you've seen them before:
https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid-23 ... questions/

I hope this helps! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.