LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 rlouis1993
|
Hi there:

In lecture, we talked about likelihood being divided into three categories:

(1) Certainty
(2) Probability
(3) Possibility

Three examples that fit these categories are as follows:

(1) Every business has to conform to the tax code
(2) Every business usually conforms to the tax code
(3) Every business can conform to the tax code

My question is: Is the concept of likelihood something that we generally look for in a conclusion, a premise, or both? Is it something we should try to identify in arguments that do not have conclusions? And for whichever one of these that it falls under, what sort of question types (i.e. - Must Be True, etc.) are usually applied in these instances where likelihood banter is used in the stimuli?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey rlouis,

Thanks and good question! The answer is that it is in both (and the answers too), and it will become an element you simply track without thinking. It's like seeing a Yield or Stop sign while driving--you know exactly what it means and it takes no time to notice, but you must notice it! Recognizing the presence of these words and their force will be key to solving many LSAT problems, so for now watch carefully when terms like that are used and how they play a role in solving each type of question.

As for specific question types, it can and will appear in all types. Force of likelihood is an element that can dictate Must Be True answers, affect Weaken answers, and be the key to Parallel problems, to name a few. It's not a situation where you turn it on or off; you always need to be aware of it no matter the question type.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 rlouis1993
|
Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.