LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 cheangj18
|
Hello!

I am currently revisiting lesson two and I am having trouble understanding how all the concepts connect and when they should be used. As of now I understand the following:

Logical Opposition - used in Stimulus / answer choices?
The opposition Construct is used in the question stem??
Conditioning can be used in the Stimulus to find the main argument and can also be used in the answer choices? But where does the contrapositive come in?
Combining conditional chains is suppose to find an alternate conclusion?

Again I am so confused how all these terms come together and can be used. Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cheangj18,

Thanks for the question! A few thoughts for you, with the starting point that the first two items generally underpin all the logic on the LSAT, whereas the second two items are more specifically seen in certain instances in LR and LG. So, there is a definite connection there, but they key point now is to understand each item on its own terms.

• Logical Opposition - used in Stimulus / answer choices? -- This is a global concept on the LSAT that relates to how truth works on the test. It can apply anywhere, to be honest. For example, I might use it to better understand question stems, or to understand why some answers are right or wrong, or to negate a statement (that's coming!), and so on. It also applies to the real worlds, and you'll see it in law school as well!

The opposition Construct is used in the question stem?? -- That's the easiest early application of the idea--to make it so you can instantly understand what is being asked. Coming later is Statement Negation, and again this will prove to be a critical conceptual piece to performing that action.

Conditioning can be used in the Stimulus to find the main argument and can also be used in the answer choices? But where does the contrapositive come in? -- Conditional reasoning is something you recognize when present. There is a TON more coming on this so for now, focus on being able to identify when it is present--know the indicators :) Once you see it, that's when you want to understand how it works and how it can be manipulated. The contrapositive is a thing that is inherently present in all conditional statements, so over time you'll begin to simply know it is there and know what it is. I analogize it to looking at a penny: one side is the statement, the other side is the contrapositive. Both have the same meaning and value, they just look different. It's a different way of expressing the same idea, so to speak.

Conditional Reasoning (also known as SN), is everywhere on this test so you'll see a lot more of it. don't get too frustrated early on, it will all come together as we build the whole picture!

Combining conditional chains is suppose to find an alternate conclusion? -- Not exactly. Combining chains produces additional insights, namely larger and more expansive inferences. Making those combinations allows you to see relationships more fully and gain deeper insights :)
Please let me know if that helps. Thanks and keep working hard!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.