LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 stressedaboutlaw
|
Hello! I am having a lot of difficulty writing my addendum to explain my two LSAT score cancellations. The truth is, I took the LSAT in January well before I felt prepared and cancelled that score, and then I retook it in September but panicked on the exam and performed really poorly... but I have no idea how to spin that in a compelling way and not come across like I crack under pressure... I retook the exam in October, which will be the score I'm using for my applications. Any advice on what to say in my addendum would be greatly appreciated.

**For context, I'd attended an NYU Law info session and an admissions officer said they "prefer a short addendum about multiple score cancellations." So I've been told they want it, I just have no idea what to write or how to word it...
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
stressedaboutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:43 am Hello! I am having a lot of difficulty writing my addendum to explain my two LSAT score cancellations. The truth is, I took the LSAT in January well before I felt prepared and cancelled that score, and then I retook it in September but panicked on the exam and performed really poorly... but I have no idea how to spin that in a compelling way and not come across like I crack under pressure... I retook the exam in October, which will be the score I'm using for my applications. Any advice on what to say in my addendum would be greatly appreciated.

**For context, I'd attended an NYU Law info session and an admissions officer said they "prefer a short addendum about multiple score cancellations." So I've been told they want it, I just have no idea what to write or how to word it...
Hi stressed,

With the addition of score preview, and more recently the multiple tech/proctor issues that have plagued test day, score cancels have become more commonplace.

An addendum is not necessary for two canceled scores, especially since you don't have a compelling reason other than not being prepared. If schools ask for it, then absolutely provide what they ask for, but it sounds like you're going off the advice of one admissions officer, not a school request.

So, unless you have a compelling reason (sickness, tech issues, etc.) I would advise to skip the addendum here. If you do still decide to go with an addendum, though, keep it brief and factual. I would try to skirt around the fact that you did not prep enough. I would simply say something to the effect of, "I took the January and October tests and did not feel confident about my performance, so I canceled." Basically, you want to make an admissions committee say, "Oh that makes sense why they canceled" and then move on. I hope this helps!

This might be a helpful listen too, since it contains background info about how schools view addenda: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/78/

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.