LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 lsattaker4778
|
Hi there, I graduated undergrad 2 years ago and, as is the case with many here, am deep in the law school application process. I just got my October LSAT score back and am trying to decide whether it's worth retaking in Jan and applying late, or if I should apply now with my current score.

I scored a 171 but have been reliably scoring 173+ on PTs. I have a 3.67 GPA (from a top program, if that's relevant), so as of now would be below the median for the schools like Harvard and Columbia which I'm the most interested in. I think if I were to retake in Jan, I'd have a solid shot at a 175. On the other hand, the soft components of my application are pretty strong, I have a justification for the lower GPA (health issues my 1st year, other than which I maintained a 3.85+), and am afraid that applying so late may do more harm than good, even with a stronger LSAT score . Any advice? Thanks so much!
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsattaker,

First, congratulations on getting a 171! That is an excellent score!

Second, it's quite common for people to score a few points lower on the real LSAT compared to their practice tests, so score a 171 vs. your practice tests of 173+ is nothing too surprising.

If you feel confident that you can score at least a few points higher in January, then I'd recommend taking it again. Generally, a higher score will outweigh any disadvantage from the applying later.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.