LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 ericsilvagomez
|
Hi, does anyone have any advice for memorizing concepts you learn while studying the bibles, workbooks, and online drills? I am likely to receive accommodations for a learning disability and would appreciate any feedback! Also, can someone please elaborate on the self-study bible?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ericsilvagomez wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:54 pm Hi, does anyone have any advice for memorizing concepts you learn while studying the bibles, workbooks, and online drills? I am likely to receive accommodations for a learning disability and would appreciate any feedback! Also, can someone please elaborate on the self-study bible?
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the post! The LSAT is more of a skill test than a knowledge test, so the best way to "memorize" concepts is to practice and review. These posts may help:

https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-be ... ice-tests/
https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid-15 ... ice-tests/
https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/how-to ... ice-tests/

You can find more information about creating a self-study Bible here: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/creati ... udy-bible/.

Thanks!
 ericsilvagomez
|
The links you gave were helpful, so thank you! I have more questions about practice tests: Is 52.3 the correct time to put for time and a half? Are there explanations on here for Preptest 73? Lastly, are online drills and workbooks similar to practicing one section? I will practice one section a day at some point in my prep.

Please let me know if you can answer those questions here or if I need to create a new post
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ericsilvagomez wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:19 am The links you gave were helpful, so thank you! I have more questions about practice tests: Is 52.3 the correct time to put for time and a half? Are there explanations on here for Preptest 73? Lastly, are online drills and workbooks similar to practicing one section? I will practice one section a day at some point in my prep.

Please let me know if you can answer those questions here or if I need to create a new post
Hi Eric,

You're welcome!

Each LSAT section is 35 minutes, so time-and-a-half would be 52 minutes and 30 seconds (52.5 on the timer).

Yes, we have some explanations for PT 73 on the forum, and you are welcome to post any questions that you may have:
LG: viewforum.php?f=73
LR: viewforum.php?f=478
RC: viewforum.php?f=732

The workbooks review LSAT concepts, and each drill set covers a specific game/question/passage type. Since a drill set covers one specific topic, it is not equivalent to practicing one LSAT section, which covers multiple random topics.

I hope this helps! Thanks!
 ericsilvagomez
|
Yes, that helps. Thanks! Since taking one section includes random topics, is that something you recommend? Also, for each full test, do you use the tracker sheets to write about every problem you got wrong or struggled with on the exam? In the blind review in the first link, you mentioned the tracker sheets in the third step, but I want to make sure it's referring to that.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Eric,

While taking complete sections (and even complete LSATs) is definitely something that you should include in your LSAT preparation, these activities should generally occur later in your studies. In other words, when taking a full section or full LSAT, you are basically testing everything at once (each type of LG, RC, LR question, etc.). If you haven't studied and practiced each of these concepts individually first, it can be a little overwhelming and not as useful.

(To be clear, it can be helpful to take one full practice test right at the beginning of your LSAT studying just to get a good sense of the overall test, the timing element, and what's in the different sections, although don't worry too much about your actual score.)

In general, the best approach for studying is to tackle one concept at a time and practice/master that concept before proceeding. For example, if you are using "The Logical Reasoning Bible," take it chapter by chapter, question type by question type. Only once you have covered most of that material should you be taking full LR sections. Doing an LR section before you've studied most of the LR concepts isn't really that helpful.

Also, be aware that speed is something that comes later, once you've studied/practiced all of the concepts, so timing yourself too soon can cause some students to rush and sacrifice understanding/accuracy, which would be a mistake.
 ericsilvagomez
|
Thank you for your response! I am taking it chapter by chapter. I am on the conditional reasoning chapter in the Logical Reasoning Bible and have trouble with scientific terms in the stimulus. The second question in the problem set on page 205 has an explanation I did not really understand. Do you have any suggestions for understanding the logic behind that question? Also, I am going to use the testing and analytics drilling for the LR Must Be True questions, how does using that work?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ericsilvagomez wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:37 pm Thank you for your response! I am taking it chapter by chapter. I am on the conditional reasoning chapter in the Logical Reasoning Bible and have trouble with scientific terms in the stimulus. The second question in the problem set on page 205 has an explanation I did not really understand. Do you have any suggestions for understanding the logic behind that question? Also, I am going to use the testing and analytics drilling for the LR Must Be True questions, how does using that work?
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the post. You can view a full explanation and discussion of that question here: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=6018.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as to how the drill sets work. They are a collection of questions that will provide you will MBT practice.

Thanks!
 ericsilvagomez
|
Hi,

Thank you for the link to the explanation! It helped. As for the part about drilling practice, I have a follow up question: is reviewing drilling questions the same as reviewing practice test ones? I was thinking of applying the blind review method when reviewing it instead of simply completing and doing a brief review like I did with the questions in the Logical Reasoning bible. Also, are the performance trackers also for the drills or is that just for practice tests? Thanks!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, you can review drill questions the same way you review practice tests! The performance tracker is for any material (tests, test sections, drill sets, etc.) you take on our testing and analytics package. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.