LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

View: The viewpoint for this passage is pretty straightforward. The only viewpoint at issue in this passage is that of the author. The author doesn't, for example, introduce any other authors with different viewpoints.

Structure: The first paragraph introduces the idea that we want two things from the law and addresses the first of these things, namely, it addresses what a formalist system of law is and why we want it. The second paragraph addresses the other thing we want from the law--we want it to provide substantive justice in the context of specific cases. The third paragraph brings in a more specific argument from the author, that we need social equality first or else should abandon formalism.

Tone: The tone is reasoned and balanced, yet it also includes advocacy for a specific position. This advocacy can be seen in the third paragraph.

Main Point: The author notes that we want both formalist legal systems and substantive justice, and argues that we must ensure social equality first or else abandon formalism if the law is to provide substantive justice.
 Claire.L
|
Hello!

Could you please help me with VIEWSTAMP Analysis? Thank you!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Claire.L!

Happy to provide that analysis for this question. I have posted that above.
 Claire.L
|
Hi Luke,

Thank you so much for your help!
Luke Haqq wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:17 pm Hi Claire.L!

Happy to provide that analysis for this question. I have posted that above.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.