LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Flaw. The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ikim10
|
Hello, I was stuck in between answer choices (B) and (C). I chose (B) by process of elimination in that I couldn't match (C) to the stimulus.

Could you walk through the diagramming for the stimulus, the flaw identification, and how to match the parts of (C) that make it the correct answer?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ikim10!

To start with identifying the flaw, this stimulus mistakes necessary and sufficient conditions. Having the script submitted by an agent and correctly formatting are necessary conditions to avoid being discarded (if it's not submitted by an agent or if the formatting is incorrect, then it's discarded). However, just because someone has done those two things doesn't guarantee that it won't still be discarded. Perhaps they also discard any that are submitted without a name, or on the wrong type of paper, etc.

This flaw is similar to what is going on in answer choice (C). The first two sentences of this answer choice give us two sufficient conditions (exercising daily and quitting smoking)--if Bob does these things, his fitness level will improve. But the answer choice then goes on to treat these as necessary for his fitness level to improve--it indicates that if he doesn't do these two things, then his fitness level will not improve. However, it's possible that Bob can do some other things (e.g., eat healthier) that could also improve his fitness level.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.