LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 daniellerovira
|
Hi! I'm registered to take my third (and hopefully last) attempt at the LSAT in January. Some context: I had a terrible remote testing experience in November; I'd intended to test in person, based on the horror stories I was hearing about Prometric, but was unable to find any slots within a 5 hour drive. My previous remote exam in June went pretty smoothly, so I figured I'd just risk it for the sake of convenience.

During the exam, my proctor somehow misunderstood the time allowance and ended multiple sections one minute early to 'create' the one minute break in between sections. I additionally lost several minutes trying to communicate with the proctor as to why this was happening while the clock started running on the next section, unbeknownst to me. Additionally, I was questioned and asked to display my insulin pump every time I checked it in response to the buzz in my pocket letting me know my blood sugar was out of range (I'm type 1 diabetic). Though I immediately emailed LSAC about these issues, I didn't realize there was a specific 'test day feedback' form to fill out, so I missed the deadline to retest and was denied any reimbursement for registering again. I resolved to sign up for the next exam to test in-person with diabetic supply accommodations, hoping to eliminate the possibility of experiencing these issues again.

In my accommodation request, I asked to keep my insulin pump visible such that I may keep an eye on my blood sugar without losing additional time by having to show/explain the device to the proctor at each instance. Apparently, it is LSAC policy that anyone with diabetic supply accommodations is required to test remotely (though I have no idea why). I emailed LSAC on this issue, citing my previous test experience and requesting an exception allowing me to test in-person, but was denied as my experience did not qualify as exceptional hardship. It seems ironic that requesting this accommodation has actually resulted in greater limitation in my test experience, and while I imagine that challenging the LSAC Policy would be a hill not worth dying on, it does raise my eyebrows in regards to disability rights and fair access, and I'm curious if you guys know of an explanation as to why this would be the case.

I was told I could opt out of my accommodation if I want to test in-person, so now I'm seeking insight on which route I should choose. Since medical equipment, including a pump, is allowed in the room without accommodations, I assume the only difference is whether or not I can have it out on the desk. While it sounds like many of the remote-testing issues are being resolved, I'm curious if you guys can comment on its perceived current state, and whether I still might be better off declining the accommodation to test in person (assuming I can still reserve a spot).

Sorry this is so long-winded! I'm an avid follower of the blogs, podcast, and webinars; I really appreciate the nuanced info/advice you guys provide, and am very curious as to your input on my situation. Thanks!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi daniellerovira!

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds like this has been a frustrating process of trying to get the accommodations you need.

To your question of which route you should take, one question you might ask yourself is, suppose that there were no problems or hitches with the test you take, whether it be remote or in-person. If there were no problems either way, which would you prefer? The problems you encountered seem like aberrations--more likely than not, you shouldn't encounter them again. If that's the case, then it seems like you can choose whichever environment will be most conducive to your success.

Of course, in reality your opinion of both options is likely shaped by your experience. From what I understand from your post, it sounded like the second paragraph is describing your experience with a remote administration (if so, I couldn't tell if it was referring to the June or November administration). From my perspective, that would seem to make the remote option less ideal, because you might have a lingering worry when taking the exam that something might go wrong.

Your conclusion about which option is best should also take into account the 5 hour drive for testing in person. That creates a significant level of inconvenience and exertion of your energies that could be reserved for channeling towards the LSAT. If you go that route, I'd encourage you to consider getting a hotel or something close to the test where you can stay the night before. That will help you be able to dedicate your full energy to the test. It also seems a bit easier in the in-person scenario for you to be able to tell the proctor before the test that you may be checking your insulin pump. That would hopefully assure that this wouldn't cause any disruption when you are taking the test.

In the end, it seems like you should choose the option that you'd find the most comfortable. If you thought, for instance, that taking it in person would increase testing anxiety, that's a strong reason against that option. If you don't think remote versus in person would affect any overall testing anxiety, however, then in person could be a great way to ensure that you don't face any disruptions during the exam.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.