LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ask questions about our company, courses, books, and tutoring.
 Lindsey02
|
Hello,

I am in my final year of undergrad as a biochemistry major, and I aspire to be an IP attorney after taking a gap year to work in the field. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything detailing how to study for the LSAT as a STEM major because the majority of law school applicants majored in the humanities or social sciences. What I have found is that using the same approach towards the questions (especially in RC) just doesn't work for me. How can I adjust my learning to take the knowledge and skills I already have and apply them better?

Additionally, I originally planned to take the LSAT in Apr 2024 with Jun 2024 and Aug 2024 as available retakes. Obviously, the LSAT is changing in 2024 and will have 2 LR sections with no LG. I haven't learned any LG yet (I've completed LR and most of RC and will move to drilling soon), but which test would you suggest doing as a STEM major? Do STEM majors tend to do better with LG? Is it okay to limit myself to one retake by taking the April test? Is it too much of a time crunch for applications to take my first test in August? For reference, my diagnostic was a 157.

Please let me know of any insight you may have. I have been looking everywhere to find some guidance on these topics but am coming up empty. I would truly appreciate anything you can give.

Thank you!
 srusty
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lindsey,

It's great that you're planning ahead and considering your approach to the LSAT, especially as a STEM major. Your background can certainly be an asset in approaching the test, as it demonstrates analytical and logical thinking skills. Here are some tailored suggestions for your LSAT preparation:

Logical Reasoning: Your scientific background likely involves a lot of logical thinking. Apply these skills to LR questions. Focus on understanding the structure of arguments, identifying assumptions, and strengthening/weakening reasoning. Consistent practice is key. Gradually increase the difficulty of LR questions, and review both correct and incorrect answers to understand the underlying logic.

Reading Comprehension: Approach RC passages with the same precision you use when reading scientific literature. Identify main ideas, viewpoints, and structure. Also, begin reading diverse humanities passages into your daily life as much as possible. Many newspapers and magazines have long-form articles and prose that resemble what you see on the LSAT.

Logic Games: Even though the LG section is being removed, the skills developed in this section (analytical reasoning and diagramming) can still be valuable in other sections. Start with basic games to understand the concepts. STEM majors typically find LG easier to learn as it deals with more “mathematical” forms of logic and reasoning.

I think having one retake option is a good back-up, but be sure to have a study schedule set in advance that has breaks built in. You want to be able to accurately estimate your progress through the PowerScore curriculum. Also, after Lesson 6, take the recommended practice test to gauge your progress.

Acknowledge your strengths and use your scientific mindset to approach the LSAT strategically. Positivity can impact your performance.

Best of luck with your LSAT preparation!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lindsey,

Thanks for the question! To add to the solid advice above, you should immediately take a few LG sections and see how you do. STEM majors tend to do quite well on LG, and if that applies to you, you will want to make sure to get as many LSATs in prior to the change in August 2024 as possible.

Fwiw, if you score 15-16 or better raw on LG, you can likely work it to a point where you are 21-23 right consistently, which would definitely suggest you want to take an LSAT that has scored LG.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.