LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 JMPowell
|
Hi....I am currently a paralegal who is interested in finally attending law school. I have not yet started the LSAT process. I do not know where to start. Where do I start? Thank you in advance for any help :)
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JMPowell!

That is great to hear that you've decided to take steps toward attending law school! One thing that you could do as you start your journey is check out PowerScore on your favorite social media platform. For example, here is a podcast by PowerScore that provides a great introduction for people just getting started with the LSAT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHhnovPgbM.

Another step you can take is obtaining some full LSATs to take. You can purchase these through LSAC's website. You can either purchase them individually or in books that contain ten tests. You might try taking a first test untimed, completing it in however long you need. You could then take a second test under strictly timed conditions (i.e., 35 minutes per section). This second test will give you a good reference point in terms of providing you with an approximation of how you'd likely score on test day. Hopefully you will see this score increase the more you study and the more practice tests you take.

Once you've given yourself that initial exposure to the LSAT, I'd encourage you to consider either enrolling in one of PowerScore's courses (there are weekend crash course options, as well as longer courses), or else purchase some of PowerScore's books, like the Logic Games Bible. I discovered PowerScore by going to my local bookstore and looking at test preparation books by various companies. All of them helped me become more comfortable with the test, but I found PowerScore to be the most lucid and packed with the best tools and techniques for mastering the test.

Aside from preparing for the LSAT, you might also consider developing a list of the schools that you are interested in attending. Perhaps you are already aware of it, but LSAC has a predictor tool that can give you your likelihood of admission to most law schools based on your LSAT score and GPA. Those two factors weigh the heaviest when it comes to predicting your likelihood of admission to a given school. You can use that tool to create a list of schools batched into safeties (around 65-99% chance of admission), competitive schools (33-65%), and (0-33%). This will hopefully tee you up to have an array of options to choose from once you've applied--e.g., offers some schools where you're competitive, probably offers with generous financial aid from safety schools, and hopefully an offer or two from reach schools.

Finally, start thinking about the personal statement. You'll have to submit such a statement with each of your applications (you can use the same statement for all of the applications). The typical length of the statement is two double-spaced pages, which should draw on your experiences to convey why you want to practice law. Many students spend too little time on the personal statement and miss the opportunity to use it to stand out from other applicants.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.