LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 ndd429
|
Hello,

I really need advice here.

I want to apply to law schools this cycle, my top choice is Cornell Law as that's where I went for undergrad (Bachelor's in Philosophy). My major GPA is 3.97 but overall GPA is 3.08 (I explain this in an addendum). My LSAT scores are:

Aug. 2023: 167
Oct. 2023: 169
Jan. 2024: 165

I'm incredibly upset about the latest score. I was getting 175+ on practice tests. I want to know if I should cancel it. How do schools view a score cancellation? Will a 165 hurt me less than a cancellation does?

Thank you!
 hwall05
|
I believe that applying with the 169 will get you in but not with a significant scholarship. I will leave it for the experts to answer this.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ndd429 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:27 am Hello,

I really need advice here.

I want to apply to law schools this cycle, my top choice is Cornell Law as that's where I went for undergrad (Bachelor's in Philosophy). My major GPA is 3.97 but overall GPA is 3.08 (I explain this in an addendum). My LSAT scores are:

Aug. 2023: 167
Oct. 2023: 169
Jan. 2024: 165

I'm incredibly upset about the latest score. I was getting 175+ on practice tests. I want to know if I should cancel it. How do schools view a score cancellation? Will a 165 hurt me less than a cancellation does?

Thank you!
Hello ndd429,

Thank you for the post, and I am sorry to hear that you did not reach your target score!

One or two canceled scores are not a concern, as especially with score preview it's becoming more common. Schools typically only care about the highest reportable score on file.

However, in this case it seems to make sense to cancel it since you already have a higher score on file. It seems that there's little to gain from keeping the new score. If it makes you feel better and reduces your feelings of stress around your application process, go ahead and cancel that lower score.

Feel free to utilize one of our favorite resources for researching data on nearly all of the ABA-approved schools in North America: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0
This tool allows you to input your undergraduate GPA and your highest LSAT score, and get feedback on where each stands relative to attendees at individual schools, as well as your likely odds of duplicating that result on those figures.

Your GPA and LSAT together will largely dictate your options, but for the top schools, your “soft” factors (extracurriculars, letters of recommendation, personal statement) will play a big role as well, so keep this in mind!

Thank you!

Julie Lipscomb
PowerScore Test Preparation
800-545-1750

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.