LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

cd1010
|
Hi,

I have two question about the explanation for this question (p. 4-32) in the L4 Additional Reading HW. The game starts with: "Eight librarians -- C,D,E....."

1. One rule says "F works an earlier shift than librarian G". Can you clarify if "earlier" is limited to within the day? I can't assume that, right? So, it's possible for F to work the afternoon shift, and then G works the morning shift the next day?

2. For the same rule, the document says: "'thus, G can be assigned to work on Monday, and separately, F can be assigned to work on Friday." I don't get this. Why? Should this be flipped -- F can be assigned on Monday, and G on Friday?

Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cd1010,

1. "Earlier" means earlier. It doesn't have to be the same day. An entire day earlier is certainly earlier! So, you're right not to make the bad assumption.

2. Of course F can be assigned to Monday. F is earlier than G. It's easy for F to be assigned to Monday. What's not as easy to see is that F COULD be assigned to Friday...just barely. If F is Friday morning and G Friday afternoon, it just barely works out. So, while there is a Not Law for F on Friday, it's just Friday afternoon. Similarly, there IS a Not Law for G on Monday, but it's just Monday morning. F and G could both be on Monday OR both on Friday if you make sure F is the earlier of the two on that same day. If F and G are on different days, it's just much easier to assure that F is before G.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.