LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Laurenw3692!
|
I had another thought, I can’t edit the post so i’m not sure if you’ll see this but I understand logically that just because the people don’t understand their musical roots doesn’t mean there can’t be a good show, i guess, right? But the way we have been taught to do the contrapositive and negative makes this confusing. Before taking this test, I would understand that simply because there aren’t people who understand their musical roots, does not guarantee there won’t be a good show, but doing the diagram and crossing out, the way we’ve been taught, seems to contradict that. Like i stated: if you have the diagram and start from the end with the necessary UMR and cross it out, don’t you have to cross out the rest? I don’t know lol im sorry if this is confusing. I just didn’t want someone to waste their time saying “just because there aren’t people who UMR doesn’t mean there can’t be a good show” because, to me, that’s exactly what it means after doing the diagram and crossing out/contrapositive like i’ve been taught.

Thank you!!!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
“The audience will be treated to a good show, unless there are people in the audience who do not understand their musical roots”
In this statement, NOT understanding one's musical roots is the necessary condition, because that is what the term "unless" refers to. To apply the Unless EquationTM you must then negate the other term - a good show becomes NOT a good show - to create the sufficient condition. Thus, answer D diagrams out as:

Good Show :arrow: Understand Musical Roots

That's a Mistaken Negation of the relationship presented in the stimulus, and that's why it doesn't have to be true.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.