LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Nishbha
|
I took the October lsat and was not satisfied with my score (scored about 6points lower than I was expecting/hoped to). Only problem is that ice already taken your 2 month course and done most of the work you guys provide. I've taken all but 3 of the tests you guys provide, done all the HW problems and completed about 95% of the supplemental material you guys provide. What can I do to further increase my score at this point? All I could think to do was retake some of the previous Lsats I've already done, but that seems like it may harm me more than benefit me. Any thoughts?
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nishbha,

Thanks for the question. It's not uncommon for some test-takers to drop a little on test day, for instance in response to the test day pressure. If it's 6 points lower than expected, it's a question whether you would improve with repeated re-takes. But what you might do is the following:

1) Carefully review the October test to see what you missed. If you note that there are mistakes in areas you feel like you can improve, that's a point in favor of a re-take. If on the other hand, you can understand your errors, but the questions were pretty tough and you might miss similar ones if you went again, then that weighs against re-testing.

2) Take a timed practice test (nothing you've done before) and see how much higher (if at all) your score is than your October score. If you go up 10 points, that's certainly a point in favor of considering a re-test.

Keep in mind that some admissions offices will average out LSAT scores, so if you take the test in December and come up 6 points, that means they'd average the two, and you'd be only 3 points higher. If you think that will make the difference in your admissions prospects at the school you want, then you might still move ahead.

In preparing, if you do want to re-test, I wouldn't drill too heavily, just put in 30-60 minutes of LSAT questions on busier days, and take a timed practice test once or twice a week. You've already internalized the required skills, and mostly just need to keep them fresh. Again, if there are problem areas where you do think you can improve, then you can certainly put in a little extra time on the relevant question types.

Good luck!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.