LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 law90
|
Hello,

I am currently finishing the PowerScore prep course and I have found that my AR and LR has drastically improved but I still struggle with the Reading Comp. Typically, I will score above 20 on the LR and between 18-20 on the AR. However, I am lucky to score 20 on the RC as I usually range between 16 and 19. I am aiming for 166+ and I am really struggling to get over that 20 correct range in Reading Comp. I have tried more diagramming, less diagramming, doing three section instead of all four (I score significantly worse when I do this). I feel like I am spending far too much time on each passage. I am in no means a slow reader but a detailed reader. Furthermore, I feel rushed and feel like I am not fully understanding the more difficult passages while getting lost in the questions. I have also tried to get better by doing time passages and timed sections alone. Whenever I do non-timed sections I do exceptionally well, however, this does not help me as the LSAT is a timed exam. Moving the exam date is not an option. Hoping for some advice.

Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
law90 wrote:Hello,

I am currently finishing the PowerScore prep course and I have found that my AR and LR has drastically improved but I still struggle with the Reading Comp. Typically, I will score above 20 on the LR and between 18-20 on the AR. However, I am lucky to score 20 on the RC as I usually range between 16 and 19. I am aiming for 166+ and I am really struggling to get over that 20 correct range in Reading Comp. I have tried more diagramming, less diagramming, doing three section instead of all four (I score significantly worse when I do this). I feel like I am spending far too much time on each passage. I am in no means a slow reader but a detailed reader. Furthermore, I feel rushed and feel like I am not fully understanding the more difficult passages while getting lost in the questions. I have also tried to get better by doing time passages and timed sections alone. Whenever I do non-timed sections I do exceptionally well, however, this does not help me as the LSAT is a timed exam. Moving the exam date is not an option. Hoping for some advice.

Thanks!
Hello law90,

One thing you do not mention is whether you are trying to enjoy the process of doing RC passages. Many people look at RC as a chore, but if students treat reading comprehension passages as a game of sorts, a challenge, that kind of "positive attitude" can be helpful.
Also, if there is too much diagramming of the passage, that can slow people down.
Anyway, keep practicing, in light of the observations above, which may be useful.

Hope this helps,
David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.