LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 lujainaltawarah
|
Hello! Thank you for this post. Why is B correct and not E? I recognize that B is supported in the last paragraph but support for E is also mentioned in the third paragraph. Is E wrong because it says high elevation?
 Chandler H
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lujainaltawarah wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 pm Hello! Thank you for this post. Why is B correct and not E? I recognize that B is supported in the last paragraph but support for E is also mentioned in the third paragraph. Is E wrong because it says high elevation?
Hi lujainaltawarah,

Yes, that's right! Answer choice (E) is incorrect because the second paragraph mentions extensive sedimentary charcoal accumulations at known native American settlements, but nothing about high elevation. We're only looking for things that the passage specifically says.

There is support for answer choice (B) in the second paragraph: "Controlled burning created grassy openings such as meadows and glades" (27), and that "much of the mature forestland was characterized by open, herbaceous undergrowth, another result of the clearing brought about by burning" (33).
 cd1010
|
Hello! I'm confused why the following is the support for B:
There is support for answer choice (B) in the second paragraph: "Controlled burning created grassy openings such as meadows and glades" (27), and that "much of the mature forestland was characterized by open, herbaceous undergrowth, another result of the clearing brought about by burning" (33).
I thought B correct is because it's a description of the Nicaraguan forests, in the middle of the last paragraph: "An example is...is likely to have occurred in the past". Just wanted to check my understanding. Thanks!
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Cd,

Yes, you are correct - the pines at low elevation indicate that controlled burning likely occurred here and the passage tells us these trees were present before European settlers arrived, meaning the burning had to occur before they arrived as well.

Good job!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.