LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 gdubs168
|
Hello!

I am really struggling on LR flaw q's when there is a mistaken negation or mistaken reversal. The structure of the answer "takes a sufficient cond as a necessary one" and "takes a necessary cond as a sufficient one" always scramble my brain and I end up psyching myself out on the answer. Can someone explain all the ways that a mistaken reversal or negation can be presented in the answer choices?

I am able to spot when there is mistaken negation or reversal in the stimulus, but I am taking way too long to find the right answer from there.

I saw a post that said that mistaken negation is "takes a sufficient cond as a necessary one" and mistaken reversal is "takes a necessary cond for a sufficient cond" so I think I'm just going to memorize that, but please let me know if theres a better strategy or other ways mistaken negation or reversals are described on the test.

Thanks!
 Chandler H
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
gdubs168 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:11 pm Hello!

I am really struggling on LR flaw q's when there is a mistaken negation or mistaken reversal. The structure of the answer "takes a sufficient cond as a necessary one" and "takes a necessary cond as a sufficient one" always scramble my brain and I end up psyching myself out on the answer. Can someone explain all the ways that a mistaken reversal or negation can be presented in the answer choices?

I am able to spot when there is mistaken negation or reversal in the stimulus, but I am taking way too long to find the right answer from there.

I saw a post that said that mistaken negation is "takes a sufficient cond as a necessary one" and mistaken reversal is "takes a necessary cond for a sufficient cond" so I think I'm just going to memorize that, but please let me know if theres a better strategy or other ways mistaken negation or reversals are described on the test.

Thanks!
Hi gdubs 168,

This is a good question! Mistaken Negation and Mistaken Reversals commit the same basic error: confusing sufficient and necessary conditions. Therefore, they are often described in similar ways.

It's not always the case that "sufficient... necessary" is always Negation, or vice versa for Reversal. However, you can rest easy knowing that the LSAT will not include those two answer choices in the same selection. If you know the flaw in the argument is mixing up conditions, and you see an answer choice that mentions that error, that has a strong potential for being correct.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.