LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 Meshal Alotaibi
|
Hi, now i am looking at this purpose question, is it a correct line of thinking to say the purpose of the specific reference is to give example in the ways Chinese American vocabs are different at a surface level, not at core, i was solely focused on the idea of why, the exemplify notion only answers the what, but I see the why missing. thanks.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Meshal,

I wouldn't necessarily say that the specific examples given (by themselves) show that the vocabulary changes are only surface level, not core, but that is definitely a distinction that the author then makes.

In other words, the author mentions that much of the new vocabulary is proper names for local places or things and these examples are given to show how these new vocabulary terms originated from American English terms, as described in Answer E.

While the author does then state that the core of the language has remained in tact, this claim does not follow from the examples, but is actually a new idea in contrast to the examples as shown by the use of the word "however" (line 25).

So while the author is ultimately discussing the new vocabulary terms to distinguish them from the core vocabulary, the examples themselves don't show this without additional information.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.