LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

bebeg3168
|
Hello,
Can someone help me with this question. I see in Passage A the authors speaks about lack of definitions in international law to be inclusive of the Roma people. Also gives a description of the sort of life (not an easy one it seems) they live, not having a minority status, or a citizen.
Passage B brings about definitions and explains how the Roma do fit these definitions. The authors in both passages seem to be very pro solution in regard to the Roma people.
I had like answer choice C because of the use of "definition" but that is wrong. How can I figure this out?
 bebeg3168
|
Nevermind! I understand the errors of my ways..... A is the answer :-D

bebeg3168 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 am Hello,
Can someone help me with this question. I see in Passage A the authors speaks about lack of definitions in international law to be inclusive of the Roma people. Also gives a description of the sort of life (not an easy one it seems) they live, not having a minority status, or a citizen.
Passage B brings about definitions and explains how the Roma do fit these definitions. The authors in both passages seem to be very pro solution in regard to the Roma people.
I had like answer choice C because of the use of "definition" but that is wrong. How can I figure this out?
 smzinnen@gmail.com
|
I eventually landed on the right answer here, but can you give some good advice on how to approach a question like this when we are stuck. How would you dismantle answers A-E? Thanks!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi smzinnen!

One thing you can remember to do on reading comprehension passages in general is apply PowerScore's VIEWSTAMP analysis. That can help you get better traction with any given passage. Here, the A/MP (argument/main point) seems especially helpful for tackling this question. In addition, be marking up the passage as you go--and in this case, since there are two passages, it's important to note similarities and differences between the passages.

Another thing you can do is pause after reading a passage to try to abstract from what you've read (pausing to complete the VIEWSTAMP analysis may be sufficient). So in this set of passages, Passage A discusses a lack of clear criteria in the first paragraph, and then the second paragraph unpacks why this lack of criteria is problematic for the Roma in particular. Passage B is a bit different. It starts with a specific definition and also applies it to the Roma.

Finally, you can try replacing words in a given answer choice with words that might fit from the stimulus. Answer choice (A) could be something like "The Lack of Clear-Cut Criteria for Classifying [People] as [Minorities] Causes Problems for [the Roma]" and "A Point-by-Point Argument That [the Roma] Fulfill[ Capotorti's] Criteria for Classification of [People] as [Minorities]." That rephrase seems to fit both passages and captures their relation to one another.
 jmulder615
|
My only gripe here, even though A is clearly the best answer, is that I don't think the author of Passage B necessarily goes about his argument by showing that the Roma "fulfill" all criteria, but rather arguing that one of the criteria be disregarded in their specific case since their situation is unique.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.