LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gabgie7
|
Hi can you please explain why E is not the correct answer? I narrowed it down to A or E and ultimately chose E because of the line that says the Freedom Rides "helped to transform student involvement from participation in small-scale protests into a sustained effort to challenge discrimination across the U.S." I see how A is correct but not how to eliminate E.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I would eliminate answer E for two reasons, gabgie7. First, the previous efforts were not "uncoordinated." In fact, it looks like the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee was very coordinated! Answer E might be describing that organization, rather than the Freedom Rides, which were created by another group, the Congress of Racial Equality.

Second, it doesn't look like the Freedom rides caused a transformation; again, it was the SNCC that brought about that transformation to a movement with a national scope.

E is an attractive trap, if we lose focus on the distinction between what the SNCC was doing and what the Freedom Rides did. Don't lose that focus!
 harvir25
|
Hi, can you please explain why A is better than C. I interpreted A as wrong because the passage said that the U.S government got involved to "protect" not necessarily because the harsh realities were exposed. C felt like a better example since the end of the passage did mention, that freedom riders served as an example of how to achieve more equal societies.

Thank you
 frenchhorncc
|
harvir25 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:40 pm Hi, can you please explain why A is better than C. I interpreted A as wrong because the passage said that the U.S government got involved to "protect" not necessarily because the harsh realities were exposed. C felt like a better example since the end of the passage did mention, that freedom riders served as an example of how to achieve more equal societies.

Thank you
Hi there,

I'm no expert, but when I was taking this test the other day I was also tempted by C. What led me to finally eliminate it was looking back to the passage to see if it claimed Freedom Rides were a new form of protest. In fact, whether they were new or not was not addressed. A quicker way to softly eliminate this one might be to see it says "entirely new" which is really heavy language.
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Harvir,

I would second Frenchhorncc's response - sit ins were not an entirely new form of protest, rather it was the student activism surrounding this practice which galvanized the Civil Rights movement during this time. Furthermore, the author's point isn't really that the Freedom Rides showed how future movements could use sit ins, but rather to show how effectively Freedom Rides moved the Civil Rights movement forward.

Hope that helps!
 Meshal Alotaibi
|
A might come across as too extreme of a causality, but it is really supported albeit in different parts of the text; whereas E has no support whatsoever, it is more of the SNCC scope, not the freedom Riders. The US government did address segregation and the riders did take this to a new level (i.e. us involvement) by showing us govt. harsh realities of segregation.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Meshal,

Answer A states that the Freedom Rides "induced" the U.S. government to address segregation.

The definition of "induced" most relevant to this answer is "succeed in persuading or influencing (someone) to do something."

Since the government did step in and use force to protect the Freedom Riders as a direct response to the violent reprisals to the Freedom Rides, Answer A is a pretty accurate description/summary of the last few sentences of the passage.

Also, the word "address" in Answer A does not imply that the government completely solved the problem of segregation. Rather the most relevant definition here would be "begin to deal with (an issue or problem)."

You are absolutely correct that Answer E incorrectly mixes the ideas of the Freedom Rides and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. This is a common feature of many wrong answers in Reading Comprehension.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.