LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 saranash1
|
I am only able to finish one LG and one RC passage. Would you advise that I take the time to go through and pick a certain game/passage according to which one is the easiest/least time consuming/containing the most questions?
If so on the LG section how do I determine quickly which game is the easiest?

On the LR section I am only able to finish about half of the questions. Should I skip the question types that take longer? If so which question types typically take the longest?
Additionally, considering time is such an issue for me, when I read an answer that I believe is correct, should still take the time to read the rest of the answers (i know powerscore taught us to do so but I didn't know if that would still apply under my circumstances)
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sara,

Thanks for your question.

Selecting the easiest LG to complete first provides a significant advantage, since each question is worth exactly one point. Such a game is supposed to take less time to complete, which gives you both the time and the confidence to tackle another game. So, choosing the easiest game to start with is basically a no-brainer. The question is, how do you know which game is the easiest?

Typically, the first game in your section will be below-average in difficulty. Often it is actually the easiest game, so you should consider that game first. It is also important to know the factors that typically increase the difficulty of any particular game: rules that employ conditional reasoning; numerical distributions (look for keywords such as "at least," "at most"); a large number of variables and/or variable sets. If you see any one of these elements in a game, you can be sure that the game will not be the easiest game in your section.

You also probably know the types of games that you yourself perform the best and worst on. Maybe you find Basic Linear games to be easier than Grouping? Or perhaps prefer Defined to Undefined Grouping games? Either way, after months of test prep you should be able to identify your strengths and weaknesses in Logic Games and capitalize on your strengths.

With Reading Comp., choose the passage whose topic you find most appealing (as in interesting, familiar, or potentially easier to understand). Granted, topic doesn't matter per se, as you will be given all the information you need in order to answer every question. That said, people typically show higher levels of engagement with passages whose topics they find fascinating, and as a result perform better on the questions. Also, make sure you don't get "stuck" on any particular question: if you can't easily prove the answer, your time is better spent answering another question.

All else being equal, the number of questions per passage (or game) matters too. If I had only one game or one passage to do, and cannot decide which one would be the easiest, I'd choose the one with the most questions in it. More bang for your buck, so to speak.

One last thing I wanted to mention (which is slightly off-topic, but relevant to you). I read in another post that you have been denied accommodated testing for ADHD. The LSAC has notoriously stringent requirements for granting such accommodations: a note from a psychiatrist or an attending physician won't cut it. Typically, you need to sit through several days of cognitive assessment tests and provide extensive evidence of disability. In New York City (and Chicago), there is a Center for Cognitive Assessment (http://cognitive-assessment.com/) that could be helpful, if you decide to go down that route. Your health insurance may or may not cover their services, but it's probably worth a try.

Good luck!
 saranash1
|
Thanks for the advice!

Reading Comprehesnion
You quoted,
"Also, make sure you don't get "stuck" on any particular question: if you can't easily prove the answer, your time is better spent answering another question."
Are you referring to another question for the same passage or for another passage.
Because it seems that if I skip a question and just move on to another passage, I won't have time to finish reading it and start on the questions.

You quoted,
Does picking the passage you find the most appealing trump picking the passage with a large number of questions?

LG
"Such a game is supposed to take less time to complete, which gives you both the time and the confidence to tackle another game. So, choosing the easiest game to start with is basically a no-brainer."

Does ease in game quality trump picking a game with a high number of questions?

In regard to the cognitive testing, I took a test that the LSAC supposedly required that measured reading speed. It wasn't covered by insurance and was not a test that you typically have to take when being tested for ADHD.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sara,

See my responses below. Thanks!
You quoted,
"Also, make sure you don't get "stuck" on any particular question: if you can't easily prove the answer, your time is better spent answering another question."
Are you referring to another question for the same passage or for another passage.
Because it seems that if I skip a question and just move on to another passage, I won't have time to finish reading it and start on the questions.
I am referring to another question in the same passage.
Does picking the passage you find the most appealing trump picking the passage with a large number of questions?
It's a judgment call, but I'd choose the passage I am more likely to find engaging and interesting as the first passage. Just don't leave the passage with the most questions for last: if you do, and don't get to it, you will lose a lot of points.
"Such a game is supposed to take less time to complete, which gives you both the time and the confidence to tackle another game. So, choosing the easiest game to start with is basically a no-brainer."

Does ease in game quality trump picking a game with a high number of questions?
Yes, always begin with the easiest game. But never leave the game with the most questions for the end, regardless of difficulty. The cost is too high, as in RC.
In regard to the cognitive testing, I took a test that the LSAC supposedly required that measured reading speed. It wasn't covered by insurance and was not a test that you typically have to take when being tested for ADHD.
My understanding is that the LSAC requires more tests than just the one you took, but again - we are not experts in neuropsychology or cognitive assessment :) You need to discuss this with a certified neuropsychologist who has experience obtaining approvals for accommodated testing. The CCA is a good place to start, IMO.

Best of luck!
 saranash1
|
But with reading comprehension I am generally only able to finish one passage. So would it be advisable to pick the passage with the most question regardless of topic?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That depends on your own strengths and weaknesses. If, for example, you know you always do poorly on the science passages, then don't pick that one regardless of how many questions it has. Only you can decide which passage to choose, but try to balance out the two important factors raised here - your comfort level with the material and getting the most bang for your buck by maximizing the number of questions. If you are equally comfortable with every passage type, go with the most questions.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.