LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Nadia0702
|
Hi PS,
I am in the On-line class, Week 3 and just completed all the Logic Games Homework. I am generally having a hard time with LG. I am trying to stay positive and have blind faith that it will get better with practice, but I'd still like to ask for some suggestions on what I can do to improve.

It appears that I can *generally* set them up correctly but then things fall apart with the questions :) Not sure if this makes sense, but I have a hard time "seeing" the approach I need to take to arrive at the answer. Once I read the explanations they make sense, but I am left to wonder how on earth I would have thought to take that approach.

I also have the Logic Games Bible but I thought I'd ask for advice on this forum first before jumping into the Bible in addition to the class. I've read lots of things on the forum regarding burn-out so I also don't want to pull an all-nighter going through the Bible :)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting generally discouraged!

Thanks,
Nadia
PS. I'm registered for the Dec. LSAT
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Nadia,

Good to see that you are preparing this early for December! Rest assured that for most students, Logic Games prove to be the easiest section on which to show improvement. Because success at the games relies so heavily on having a system, which most first-time LSAT students don't have, the adoption of a good system for diagramming usually leads to great strides. In my opinion, PowerScore's system is excellent and should really help you.

As you are only at Lesson 3, there is still plenty more to learn. You've been told the truth - practice will really help, so keep it up. Don't overdo it, though - you're right not to pull an all-nighter with the Logic Games Bible. You could, however, pick and choose a few sections to supplement your studies as you go along - right now that would probably be basic linear games and possibly some advanced game setup practice. Don't delve into grouping games just yet - wait for the class to get there, and then use the bible as a supplemental resource.

One of the most important steps to improving at games is to make inferences at the outset, before starting in on the questions. Diagramming the rules is important, but it's not enough - you need to follow up with some "what if" questions. Got a rule that says M is either 3rd or 6th? Then ask yourself, what if M is 3rd - what else happens? What if M is 6th? How do those choices affect other variables, sequences, not-laws, etc. This is a lot like prephrasing - determining before you look at answer choices what some answers are going to look like. At this early stage of your studies, feel free to take your time, don't worry about the clock, and practice making those inferences.

When do you stop making inferences and move on to the questions? I really like an analogy that another instructor shared with me - it's like making microwave popcorn. As long as things are popping along, let them pop. When the pops slow down to where you have a few seconds between pops, consider stopping the popping and starting the eating. For now, you can afford to burn a few kernals while you learn how the process works.

Good luck in your studies! Stay positive!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.