LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 srozek
|
Hello There,

I took the online prep course that ended before Oct. LSAT to prepare for the Dec. test, and have been practicing since then. I re-listen to lectures, and recaps, have been practicing with timed sections, and try to take at least three full LSAT Prep tests a week. I'm stuck in the 154-157 range and getting really frustrated here.
I review the questions I get wrong, and on the most part I understand why I got them wrong, however, I'm finding it hard to apply all the techniques I've learned through the test prep course, especially with the time restrain. I'm getting way better in the logic games section, the RC is up and down, but with LR I average the same every time, only 15-17 correct!
I have to admit that conditional reasoning is not my strength, I do understand the concept, but when I try to apply it to the stimulus I get highly confused.
Any advice would be helpful, as I need to maximize on the time I have to prepare before Dec.

Thanks a lot
Sarah
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey, srozek,

First off, I'm glad to hear that you're doing reasonably well in LG and RC. Of all three sections, I believe LG is the section people can improve at most through repetition, because of the relatively few number of basic game templates. So keep up the good work there, and keep working at RC. :-)

As for the LR, I have to ask: when you do timed sections and timed tests, do you finish the sections completely? If not, what how many of your missed answers would you say are ones you tried and got an incorrect answer choice on, versus how many you didn't get to because you ran out of time?

If you find that the time isn't the problem so much as the logic, then I would recommend using the Online Center and any PowerScore materials you have to do long strings of the same question type (like Must Be True or Weaken) over and over again. For whichever question type or types you find yourself most having trouble with. A lot of people have no trouble at all with some types but are crushed by others. Common tricky types are Assumption, Parallel Reasoning, Evaluate the Argument, and Resolve the Paradox.

If you find, however, that the time really is your major concern, consider trying individual sections with a more generous time limit - say an hour. However long you need to finish a section completely. Then slowly start cutting back your time in future sections. For example, if you started with an hour, then after you've finished a few sections at an hour each, try 55 minutes. Or 50. Practice until you can finish in that time period, then continue until you're at your 35-minute goal.

Most importantly, don't stress out! Consistent scores are good, and with just a little more work, I'm sure you'll find yourself improving soon. Good luck! :-D

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
PowerScore
 srozek
|
Thanks for the response Lucas,

I usually do about 20/22 per LR section before I run out of time & guess on the remaining questions. As for which questions I usually get wrong, it varies! I'm worst at justify the conclusion, parallel the reason, and method of argument, I usually do well in assumptions, surprisingly! I will try doing them untimed and do more practice on the types that give me issues.
Hopefully the more I practice the better my score will get.

I appreciate your help.

Sarah

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.