LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Kp13
|
Hi,

I would like to receive some advice on what would be an effective approach to prepare for the October LSAT given my unique circumstances. I just wrote the June test, but have submitted a request to cancel my score, as I am sure I did not do well and don't want that to be reflected on my record.

When I began the full-length powerscore class in early April, my practice LSAT was in the low 140s. During the two months of class, along with self-studying, the highest practice LSAT score I received was 149, which is an improvement, but clearly nowhere near good enough to make me a competitive candidate for law school. I work full-time, so that complicates effective studying a bit.

My reason for writing is to get some practical advice on test preparation. Since, I have already gone through the course once and have the books and access to online material, what is the best use of my time? I plan on allocating 15hrs of studying/week, starting now until the October test, which gives me close to 4 months. My weak areas are Logic Games and Logical Reasoning, but even on Reading Comprehension I can at most complete 3/4 passages at present. I should also mention that I have the two Powerscore Bible books that I haven't studied yet.

I was considering breaking up my studying by sections. So for example, I was considering spending 1 month solely with the LG Bible and doing lots of timed practice sections to get myself to the level where I can complete 3-4 games comfortably (and correctly) in 35 mins. I would then spend another month working to improve my LR performance, using the second bible book. With improved performance on both the LG and LR sections, I would then write as many full-length practice tests as possible and do self-analysis in the remaining month and a bit before the October test. Would this be an effective preparation approach in your opinion??

Please advise something. I am determined to study hard and conquer LSAT in October, but need some direction as to the best approach to use in my case!!!

Thank you!
Last edited by Kp13 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kp13,

Welcome to the forum! You have several options on how to proceed in your test prep for October, so let me discuss them in some detail:
  • 1. Re-take the FL PowerScore class.
As someone who is currently scoring at the median (149-150), you are still missing on fundamental concepts that could improve your score if understood correctly. I also suspect you are not applying the correct methodology to each and every question type in LR, may be missing crucial inferences in Logic Games, and generally don't have the requisite pace for RC. A class will provide you with the necessary discipline and structure, which will prevent you from coasting through the summer; you also get a new set of books (which would be especially useful if some of your homework has been marked up). Best of all, you get to discuss your performance with someone who is knowledgeable and has direct access to your score reports. Repeating a class is not free, but you can do it at a significantly discounted rate. Call 1-800-545-1750 to inquire.
  • 2. Self-study
Self-study using the PowerScore method requires having access to all three of our Bibles (LG, LR, and RC), and - ideally - the workbooks that come with them. You already have two of the books, so that's a good start. One thing I would *avoid* doing is spending a month solely with the LG Bible, then moving onto the LR, etc. You are much better off studying all three bibles simultaneously, or at least alternating between them each week. You may want to check out the blog post below, which I wrote specifically for test-takers who have prior exposure to our method:

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/275 ... Until-June

While the blog was written in anticipation of the June 2013 exam, it is obviously relevant to anyone who has about 3 months to study. An essential part of this study plan is ongoing monitoring of your performance through practice tests, which you need to thoroughly review and keep track of your mistakes. Luckily, you should have continued access to the Online Study Center until October, which should make this significantly easier to accomplish.

Regardless of which approach you take, please don't hesitate to ask for our feedback. We're here to help!
 Kp13
|
Hi Nikki,

Thanks for your reply. To provide you with an update: I self-studied from Jul-Oct, and my score improved to the point where I was scoring 156-158 in September leading up to the October test (compared to my 140s scores in spring/summer).

On the October LSAT, however, I scored a miserable 148. I am now registered to write the December LSAT, but with the latest practice score of 152 (from this past Sunday), I don't know what to do anymore. Should I withdraw and register for the February LSAT at this point? Given that I already wrote the LSAT twice (June 2013 (cancelled score) and October), I can only write LSAT again one more time.

I have submitted my applications to various law schools. Most of them (but not all), do accept the February LSAT results. However, even those that do, strongly advise against waiting until February because of the possibility to prejudice one's chances of admission so late in the application cycle. I feel like I am burning a candle from both ends. Either I write the December LSAT (most likely not do well) and get rejected by all law schools, or wait until February, possibly improve my score, but might still be rejected given that most spots in the class will already be filled by the time February score becomes available sometime in late March.

What would be your recommendation?

Thank you,
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kp13,

Thanks for your question!

I would buckle down and try to get ready by December. You have 10 days left, which is not a lot of time for sure. But as someone scoring right in the middle of the curve, you are probably missing about 40 questions between the four sections. That's a lot! You need to do better on about 10 of them in order to reach your goal. Figure out what's costing you so many points: I bet there is some low-hanging fruit you can pick up. Assuming you're guessing on a number of questions, try to identify the questions that tend to take a lot of your time and skip them: the point is not to let a few questions throw off your pace.

Also, check out our guessing strategies:

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/326 ... or-Answers

Last, but not least, now may be the perfect time to do a few hours of tutoring. While I'm loathe to dispense the sort of advice that costs money, I do believe that a tutor can help you figure out how to get those 10 extra questions. Yes, it's expensive (if you compare it to, say, a nice dinner), but a jump from the low-150s to the high-150s can make a huge difference in your life down the road. From that perspective, it's actually quite a bargain :)

Let us know if we can help in any way!
 Kp13
|
Thank you for a quick response.

I will definitely consider tutoring now.

As an aside, if I write the test in either December or February, when is the next time I will be eligible to write it again? Is it June 2015?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kp13!

You may not take the LSAT more than 3 times within any two year period. Canceled scores also count toward that 3 test maximum. So I believe you are correct that if you take the test in December or February, you will not be able to take it again until June 2015.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 Kp13
|
Hi,

I re-wrote the June 2013 LSAT yesterday (with a 157 score) and re-wrote the October 2013 LSAT today (with a 161 score). While I am happy to have broken into the 160s for the first time, I am wondering how reliable this result it given that it is a re-take?

With less than a week away, I am trying to decide what to do about the December test.

Also, do you recommend re-taking LSATs written previously for practice?

Thank you.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kp13,

It's great that you've broken into the 160's! I wouldn't worry about the fact that it's a re-take, as long as it's been at least a few weeks since you first took the test, and you've spent that time learning the strategies and techniques that will help you achieve a higher score.

What to do about December? Well, it's the third time you'll be taking the test, so you won't be eligible to re-take until 2015. If you plan on going to law school next year, the December test is the way to go... unless you are confident that you can score much better in February. You've improved quite a bit, but if your goal is to get a score in the mid-160's, you're about 7-8 questions away from that. With only a week left, this will be an uphill battle, unless there is a discreet number of question types or games that are costing you a lot of points. A higher score can also result from incremental improvements in all sections, which will require a better section strategy (e.g. smart guessing, pacing, skipping questions that are too difficult, etc.).

It's possible that you can score above 160 in December, but you need to reproduce that score at least two more times from now until then - ideally with tests you haven't seen before. Failing that, consider the resources available to you, and ask yourself if you've used every single one of them in the most efficient manner. Perhaps you can re-take the FL class in preparation for the February LSAT? Or take an advanced LG or LR class? Do some tutoring? Self-study does work for some people, but it's not the best course of action for everyone.

Ultimately the decision to take it in December or postpone until February is a personal one, and you need to consider the costs and benefits carefully. The stakes, especially in your case, are quite high. Either way, I wouldn't make that decision until Thursday or even Friday of this week, after you've 1) reviewed every single question and game that has given you trouble over the last two-three months; and 2) taken at least two more practice tests.

Good luck!
 Kp13
|
Hi Nikki,

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

I could not reproduce the 161 score I had the week before the December test in the two practice tests I attempted this week, scoring 156 and 153 on both of them respectively. I am now registered to write the test in February.

Right now, my goal is to make sure I spend the next two months as productively as possible, as this is really my last shot to make it into law school next fall. I am on the wait list to hear back from one of the tutors in my area and will also look into taking a course or two (advanced LR/LG online courses).

Thank you again and I will keep you posted on my progress.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.