LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 gabs.baker
|
Are there any vocabulary lists or do you have any suggestions on how to become more familiar with typical vocabulary used by LSAC in the questions? I've noticed that many times when I'm unfamiliar with a word, I get overwhelmed and either choose the incorrect answer to the question due to misinterpretation or I spend way too much time trying to figure out what the word means. I know they don't expect test takers to know all of the information contained in the stimuli but what about words that impact the interpretation of the question stem or answer choices? Or am I completely overanalyzing the importance of unfamiliar words? Sorry for all the rambling! Thanks!

-Gabs
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gabs!

Despite the loquaciousness your name implies, you weren't rambling. :-D

In fact, your question makes total sense and is one that people often ask. It's such a common question, in fact, that I can point you to some resources that are sure to help you. To ease you mind quickly, though, the LSAT is a thinking test not a test of your knowledge. It will always provide you with sufficient context to figure out what the terms mean, either by an actual definition or the surrounding content.

First is this blog post from our fearless leader Dave, in which he breaks down what you need to know about vocabulary before taking the LSAT.

Next is a quick vocabulary quiz hitting some of the terms you're likely to see on the LSAT but may not be familiar with.

Best wishes!

Ron

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.