LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 mattm
|
Hello,

In my case should I take the December 2014 LSAT or wait until next year?....I'm following up on a post I wrote earlier about this.

I don't really see a reason to take it given my visions problems following a Jan 2012 accident and only being able to read from one eye.....and LSAC was unwilling to grant me extra time.

i have a certain "peak" that I can't get over on the LSAT if its under fully timed proctored conditions because on the Reading Comp section I have difficulty reading from only one eye ....I could get a high 150's low 160's score if I take it in Dec.....For example on one PT I scored a -13 combined on LR, LR2, and LG...but missed 13 alone on RC.

Vision problem mostly bothers me on RC because passage and questions are split over two pages, not so much the other sections since there is less reading ( I can see the whole answer choices and stimuli reading from my right eye in LR and LG not much reading there)

I think it would be foolish to take it because a low RC and an off day on one of the other sections is a recipe for a low score

All LSAC granted me was large print exam......I sent a re-consideration after being denied request to them but they overlooked some info included in the doctors notes in the prior request and only gave me large print. ( they were un willing to review after I notified them of this since the re-consideration deadline had passed)

A large print exam wouldn't help me much since the only option they give is 18 point font and its very blurry/letters seem to shake when reading from the left eye.

I may take a cycle off and see if I can take the GRE under extra timed conditions under the new LSAC policy on prior accommodations .....( SAT and ACT scores to get into college were taken before 2012 accident).....as controversial as it is to post about extra time here, it's my only real option since large print doesn't really help me.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the message! I don't think it's controversial to post about extra time, and if anything, you are the perfect example of how extra time can work to level the playing field.

The history of LSAC and accommodated testing is a bumpy one, and they've endured lawsuits over this before. I know a lot of fine people over at LSAC, and I certainly understand the concern over people abusing the accommodated testing system, but there's been a lot of cases I've seen where I felt the regulations were applied too strictly. This is one of them.

Given what you've said, I would wait to take the exam until you can get a fair shot. You have been granted accommodations, but from what appears to be their mistake, they did not give you the proper accommodations and your score seems like it will definitely suffer. I'd either appeal again or use the GRE back-door to gain the proper accommodation. That's really the only way you are going to get a fair shot here at this point.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mattm
|
How familiar are you with the new policy for test takers with prior accommodations as I may ( probably not ) aim for a Feb LSAT? The part of the text I am confused with is this,

"(1) You have documented proof (letter or similar documentation) from the test sponsor that you were approved to receive testing accommodations that specifically identifies what those approved testing accommodations were;""

In my case, the GRE Disability Staff wants test takers to allow for 6 weeks for the processing and review of an application before scheduling a test, but at the time of the Feb LSAT accommodations request deadline , It is possible I will have received GRE accommodations but not have taken the actual test ( I'm not sure if this would pose a problem or not)

Overall though I do not see a purpose of taking a Feb LSAT as a high scorer ( 171 on most recent PT with the caveat of extended time on RC where I feel vision impairment harms me the most).

if you could address these two points.

1. how does this timing for GRE work in my case
2. Even if extra time granted on Feb LSAT, am I better off saving a potential high 160's low 170's score for the next cycle as many seats are taken by the time my scores would come in and much of the scholarship money has gone....I am more likely leaning towards a September 2015 LSAT with the expectation of that being the only LSAT for Fall 2016 apps, but leaving the door open for a Dec re take if needed

Thanks
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the followup info! Here you go:
  • 1. My understanding is that if you have the proof of accommodations letter from the GRE, then you will be granted those same accommodations, regardless of whether you have sat for the GRE yet or not. However, the fact that the GRE is processing your request now (as I understand it) and that the letter might not be out until January or so (correct?), means that you won't make the LSAC window for gaining accommodations for the February LSAT. In other words, they won't wait for the GRE to approve you; you have to have the approval from the GRE before starting your LSAC accommodations process. Let me know if I've understood the situation correctly.

2. This is the tougher of the two questions. If you think you will get your optimal LSAT score via the February LSAT, then take it. If not, then delay until September. Although they've dropped score averaging and use the highest LSAT score, the general rule is still try to take it just once if you can. Now, whether to use that February score and apply within this cycle is a tougher question. Assuming you take February, how well you do would probably influence me on whether to apply. If you do exceptionally well, they'll often open up a better financial package for you. Otherwise, I'd strongly think about postponing apps until you can be first in line when the Fall admission window opens.
Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mattm
|
I have not filed GRE Accommodations yet but faxing the paperwork over tomorrow

If GRE Accommodations go smoothly, I could have my accommodations set in early January in time for LSAC's deadline for their Accommodation requests. ( Jan 7 for regular LSAT registration and Jan 16 for late LSAT registration)...I would sign up under the late registration if needed more time from the GRE Staff....6 weeks is a maximum deadline in which I could be waiting to hear back from them, it could be sooner.

Under this route, I would have receipt of my accommodations to turn into LSAC prior to sitting for the GRE ( which seems to be ok based off of what I read )

I do not see a real upside in taking the Feb LSAT as the uncertainty regarding exactly when I get GRE accommodations, and it is somewhat late in the admissions process for Fall 2015 ( that would be the primary reason I would take it then)...overall I feel my chances are stronger in Sept/ Dec 2015 when I would be finished with school at that point and could make the LSAT a priority ....correct me if I am wrong in any of this
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That all makes sense to me—it's going to be close with the GRE paperwork because this is being processed over the holiday season and that slows things down, and that uncertainty alone will make it harder to focus. So, I agree with your decision to look at the September 2015 LSAT.

Thanks and good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.