LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 nelson3clan
|
Good morning, I'm preparing for the June 8th exam. Although I must admit my accuracy has improved my speed has not! Are there any suggestion at this point! :-?
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, nelson3clan,

I have a trick that might help you to increase your speed! :-D

Pick a section that you want to improve on, let's say Games. (It was Games for me at first.) Do the whole section top to bottom, finishing every question, keeping time but not setting a time limit - go until you finish. Maybe do this one or two more times, until you have a pretty good idea of how long it takes you to finish a section.

For me, it was 70 minutes for Games. (I know, right? :ras: ) What you do then is, start another section, and set a timer for 5 minutes under the time you've found is your average completion time. Chances are you'll just baaaarely not finish. That's okay - you'll probably have gotten much closer than with a regular time limit! Use that limit over and over until you can reliably finish in that time.

Then knock 5 more minutes off, and try again. Repeat until you've ground your way down to 35 minutes. :)

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 nelson3clan
|
Thank you Lucas! I will be trying that today!! Question, I was told NOT to do timed test everyday is that a good thing or no? Should I do them like once a week for the next 5 weeks?

Carole :hmm:
 Morgan O'Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Carole!

I think Lucas was referring to taking individual timed sections, (but not complete tests) each day. You do not need to be taking complete timed tests everyday, but I will let an instructor chime in to give you their opinion on how many you actually should be taking. In my opinion, taking 1-2 per week should be your goal for now, and then increase as you get closer to the test. But, let's see what an instructor says :-)

Thanks for posting, and best of luck to you!!

Morgan O'Donnell
PowerScore Test Prep
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Carole,

Taking a timed test every day is certainly not advisable. It can lead to a quick burnout, and the benefits will start to diminish over time as you're unlikely to learn much from your mistakes: you just won't have the time to review and address them.

Ideally, you should be taking two timed practice tests/week, making sure to add an experimental section to each test. You can bump that to three, taking one of them untimed. Check out this 6-week plan, which lays out precisely what to do each week from now until June:

http://student.powerscore.com/self-stud ... y-Plan.pdf

Feel free to modify this accordingly - it's meant for people starting from scratch, which is obviously not the case.

Good luck!
 nelson3clan
|
Thanks Morgan and Nikki! As silly as it sounds I keep feeling like I'm back at the beginning! Not a good feeling I should say. I'm printing the 6 week schedule. Can you feel like you're going backwards as you understand it more?!?

Thanks again!
Carole
 Morgan O'Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Carole!

Don't worry; sometimes it does feel that we are taking steps backwards when we are learning new material. But, once you start to get comfortable with it, you will see it coming back!!

Please let us know if you have any other questions as you move through the material!!

Best of luck,

Morgan O'Donnell
PowerScore Test Prep

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.