LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=7945)

The correct answer choice is (C)

Although we know from each passage that carbohydrate-rich foods tend to cause caries, this prephrase is quite obvious and unlikely to be particularly helpful in identifying the correct answer.prephrase is quite obvious and unlikely to be particularly helpful in identifying the correct answer.

Nevertheless, the answer to a Passage Commonality question must pass the Fact Test; both passages will provide sufficient information to prove only one of the statements regarding carbohydrate-rich foods.

Answer choice (A): If you found this answer choice attractive, you probably relied on outside information when answering a Must Be True question. Varieties of foods that are cultivated may indeed have a greater tendency to cause caries than varieties that grow wild. However, neither passage presents evidence to support this observation. On the contrary—the last paragraph of Passage A specifically refers to certain wild plants, such as pinyon nuts and wild tuber, that are highly cariogenic (lines 29-31).

Answer choice (B): Although it may be tempting to conclude that foods requiring substantial processing do not play a significant role in hunter-gatherer diets, recall that early nonagricultural populations in western North American consumed large amounts of highly processed stone-ground flour made from gathered acorns. Furthermore, Passage B never mentioned the topic of processed foods, making answer choice (B) easier to eliminate.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. The wild plants consumed by the Hopi, described in lines 29-31 of Passage A, suggest that some carbohydrate-rich foods have higher cariogenic potential than others. Similarly, at the very end of Passage B, the author describes a possible shift in the diet of the Late Ban Chiang period from sweeter carbohydrates toward less cariogenic carbohydrates (lines 66-68). These two observations imply that some carbohydrate-rich foods have a greater tendency to cause caries than others.

The fact that answer choice (C) can only be proven by facts presented at the very end of each passage is neither trivial nor accidental. Such information is often forgotten because the average student is eager to move on to the next passage or jump to the questions.

Answer choice (D): Although high fiber content may indeed increase tooth wear and reduce caries formation (lines 44-50), the effects of fiber and grit on dental health are discussed only in Passage B, not Passage A. This type of trap is common in Passage Commonality questions.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is almost identical to answer choice (A). Neither passage provides evidence to support a correlation between the cultivation of a given variety of food and its cariogenic potential.
 rneuman123@gmail.com
|
Can someone explain why c is correct in q 20? Thank you.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rneuman,

Thanks for your question! Generally speaking, we need a bit more input from you before we delve into a discussion of a particular RC question. Ultimately, it won't be us who are taking the test; it's you! :-) Our goal is to help you cultivate the analytical ability to approach these questions on your own, which is why you need to help us help you first.

Here's what I'd like you to do:

1. Describe your approach to the question.

2. What exactly made the answer choices you may have been between particularly attractive?

Thanks,

Stephanie
 rneuman123@gmail.com
|
Sure. I thought that the answer was E, because it seemed that each passage pretty much agreed that cultivated foods were more harmful than gathered. Initially when reading the passage, I didn't notice any mention of comparing the carby foods. Looking back, passage A does mention "stone-ground wheat flour" and passage b mentions rice and yams. But e seemed less narrow of an answer to me.
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, RNeuman,

Good question. Note that this question falls under the "Must Be True" category: find an answer with support in the passage.

From your prephrasing and understanding of the passages, you can anticipate that carbohydrate rich foods lead to cavities. That's your jumping off point. Use that as a process of elimination tool. Also, since we're dealing with Must Be True, be skeptical of extreme or absolute answers.

Looking over the answer choices, I am immediately skeptical of A, B, and E because of their absolute language. I'm going to start with C and D to see whether I can prove either.

With C I find strong support in lines 8-9 of Passage A: "caries formation is affected by carbohydrates' texture and composition and the last paragraph of Passage B, which discusses the differences in caries frequency depending on rates of consumption of yams and rice.

D goes against the main idea and talks about reducing caries formation.

I hope this helps.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.