LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ngreen221
|
Hi PS,

Curious as to why answer B is correct as opposed to A. For me, i could not find anything that really stood out for Lowe's method being "generally accepted". I had a tough time deciding this one, because the words "daringly innovative" also stuck out to me as a bit over dramatic, but it seemed more accurate than A.

Appreciate any feedback, Thanks always!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ngreen,

"Daringly innovative" and "generally accepted" are directly opposed answer choices. Look in line 6-15, where we learn that Lowe's work was "like previous investigators." That is evidence for "generally accepted" and disproof of "daringly innovative," so we choose B.
 Nicholas Noyes
|
I chose answer B because I thought that the "questionable" part of the answer choice was relating to the fact that new uncovered data could change Lowes Assumption. I did not choose question A because no where in the passage did it say that new data was uncovered resulting Lowes assumption to be flawed. I was down to answer choice A & B and picked B. Is my though process right on this?

Thank You,
Nicholas
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nicholas! Good work picking Answer Choice (B).

You are correct that (A) goes a bit far in saying that the author would describe Lowe's methodology as "flawed". This answer choice is clearly referring to the last paragraph of the passage, but you are correct that the paragraph never confirms the discovery of more reliable data. I think "potentially flawed" (or the "questionable" descriptor used in Answer Choice B) would be a much better way of describing the author's take on Lowe's methodology.

So the "flawed" portion of (A) is incorrect, but the "daringly innovative" portion is incorrect as well. Like Brook mentioned above, the author's description of how Lowe's work was similar to "previous investigators" makes it very unlikely that the author would describe the methodology as daringly innovative.

Nice going!
 basketball123
|
Hello, could you please elaborate on why "flawed" isnt the right word and why "questionable" is?
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey basketball123,

As previously stated, flawed is too strong a word. The author doesn't definitively say Lowe's explanation is flawed, they question it. Line (44) says "if there is a central flaw in Lowe's explanation" and then goes on to describe how archaeological records might be inaccurate (line 48-50) and ends with an example of how Lowe's assumption might be disproved (54-55). There's just not enough support to say the author believed the argument was definitively flawed and as pointed out, 'daringly innovative' was also inaccurate. RC questions like this usually include two descriptors for the passage, both descriptors will be true for the correct answer.

hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.