LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We're trying to find a rule to replace rule 2 in the game but have the same effect. So we need to make sure that both J and N are older than T, and that no other rules are violated (rule 1 has F being older than T by extension). Basically, this means that three of the six pieces must be older than T, and this is what D specifies, mainly that all but two of the five pieces other than T must be older than T.

Let me know if you have any additional questions on this.
 lalalala
|
I was debating between D/E and ended up choosing E. I get why D is correct but can you please explain why E is incorrect?
 lsatstudy2023
|
Hi,

This question seems to be just as confusing.
I tested out all the options; and they seem to work. I'm pretty sure rule subs are not the same as fully determined, so it's quite confusing to see B and C get knocked out when they can work.

I would sincerely appreciate any explanation on this.
Thank you so much!
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, lsatstudy and lalalala!

Good questions!

lalalala:

(P---N) :dbl: (P---T) changes the game. P can be older than N (P----N) independently of P being older than T (P---T).

If we were to substitute the rule in answer choice (E) we'd end up in a situation in which P couldn't be older than N and older than T at the same time. This is not true of the game in either of the either/or scenarios related to the last rule (the P, H,N dual option rule).

Further, where's J in all this? It's just floating around and could very well be newer than T. Answer choice (E) both disrupts something else in the game and doesn't replace one of the parameters of the rule we are substituting.

lsatstudy:

Nikki does an excellent job addressing answer choice (B) in an explanation earlier in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=8852#p8852

Kelsey does a great job explaining answer choice (C) in her explanation:
viewtopic.php?p=71033#p71033

You're right that rule substitution questions are not the same as finding a rule that if implemented would fully determine the assignment of variables.

The task is to find a rule that, if substituted for one of the existing rules, would make the game operate in precisely the same way. You remove a rule and then swap something in to make the game work the way it originally did. You must replace all the restrictions of the original rule without adding new restrictions.

In the Lesson 7 homework to the PowerScore course, there's a complete breakdown of how to attack rule substitution questions.

In chapter 9 of the Logic Games Bible, there's a complete breakdown of strategy for these questions.

I hope this helps!
 lalalala
|
Jonathan Evans wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:50 pm Hi, lsatstudy and lalalala!

Good questions!

lalalala:

(P---N) :dbl: (P---T) changes the game. P can be older than N (P----N) independently of P being older than T (P---T).

If we were to substitute the rule in answer choice (E) we'd end up in a situation in which P couldn't be older than N and older than T at the same time. This is not true of the game in either of the either/or scenarios related to the last rule (the P, H,N dual option rule).

Further, where's J in all this? It's just floating around and could very well be newer than T. Answer choice (E) both disrupts something else in the game and doesn't replace one of the parameters of the rule we are substituting.
That helps a lot. Thank you!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.